Thursday 16 August 2012

Week 4- A Dozen Bloomin Roses



Hey all, Julia here,

This week I’m writing up about one of my author study stories. It is called A Dozen Bloomin Roses and it is short story that is part of a larger text called Quirky Tails by Paul Jennings. It is a very interesting and twisted story that is basically about a young boy who slyly buys flowers in a flower store that the main character works at. It is not until the last page that we learn that the flowers were for the main character that is in fact a girl (we think the main character is a boy until the last page).

Jennings uses lots of good characterisation techniques by the way he incorporates imagery.

For example this is how he explains the main character:

‘I have a black belt in judo and if I do say myself I am quite good in a fight (pp. 23).’

The adjectives quite good and black belt along with the verb fight creates an image that the character is strong and possibly male. Jennings creates suspense in his story and explains not much more until the end when we find out that the judo fighter is in fact a female called Samantha! 

Jennings also uses good similes, for example to explain a nervous character he writes:

‘He looked around like a hunted rabbit (pp. 25).’

The story also covers the themes of unrequited love and bullying. The themes are addressed in a funny way to keep the reader entertained.

It was an overall weird and twisted story that I enjoyed! I liked exploring it in my author study but could not be happier that the assignment has now been submitted and is 100% out of my life!!!!!!!!

Next week I will write up about The Gizmo also by the famous Paul Jennings.

2 comments:

  1. Thats really interesting how Jennings makes the image in your mind that the main character is a boy but really he is a girl. Did that confuse you at the end when Jennings revealed the main character was a girl?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suprisingly not at all! It was very easy to understand the entire book. I recomend you give it a read :)

    ReplyDelete