Tuesday 7 August 2012

Week 3- Have You Seen My Cat?


Hi, Julia here,

This week I have read the picture book Have You Seen My Cat? by Eric Carle. The book was very simple but also quite interesting. The entire book had 3 phrases in it!
-          Have you seen my cat?
-          That’s not my cat
-          This is my cat!
However, there was a story to follow and this was because of the books illustrations. Like we learnt in lecture 2, a book can be told once from its text and again from its illustration. This book did this!
It is a book suitable for very young children and they could purely flick through it and still understand what the book was about. It was basically about establishing different types of cats. That is wild ones and pet ones. The book supports Winch’s idea of how illustrations represent a 3 dimension world.
Have You Seen My Cat? was an overall enjoyable book.
Next week I will post about The Gizmo by Paul Jennings which I'm reading as part of my author study!

2 comments:

  1. That is quite interesting that the author can tell the story with only three phrases. It sounds like a very good book so use in a lower primary classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it definitely is interesting! The book however would be near impossible to read and extremely uninteresting without the illustrationS...

    ReplyDelete